11.08.2010

short-cut collard greens

another Bountiful Basket goodie that I never imagined that I’d try, little alone, like.  I’ve been a veggie hater most my life.  not until recently did I discover that I like veggies more than fruits (although I do still have a aversion to mashed potatoes… I don’t think that’ll ever go away really).  add this to my list of keepers.  it almost sits up there with comfort foods

Short Cut Collard Greens

1 1/4 lbs collard greens (I used the whole bunch I had which I think was probably just under a lb)

1 TBSP water

2 slices Canadian bacon (I used a half pound or so of regular bacon.)

1 TBSP olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

1 TBSP cider vinegar

1 TBSP maple syrup

1/8 tsp hot red pepper flakes

3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I believe I used fat free)

salt

 

remove the stems and center ribs from the collard greens and discard.  Cut the leaves into 1/2 inch strips.  place the greens into a large, microwave-safe bowl with the water and cover tightly.  microwave on high for five minutes.

in the meantime, preheat a large skillet and cook the bacon until crispy.  let cool, crumble and set aside.  add the oil and onion to the pan and cool until the onions have softened.  add the collard greens and stir in the vinegar, maple syrup , red pepper flakes, and broth.  Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 30 minutes.  add the bacon and season with salt.

 

Verdict:  It was SOOOO good.  I wanted to pile the stuff high on my plate but had to refrain and leave some for the hubby, who had the very same sediments about it as well.  my suggestion, make a double batch.  it just barely made enough for the two of us (thank goodness the kids turned their noses up at it!) and I’m sure we could have eaten more of it if there was more to go around.  We had it with T-bone steaks and I’ll tell you a secret (shhhhhhhhh)…. I only ate two small bites of the steak and scarfed down the greens… that good!

No comments: